Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Holiday Best

Tonight I get to attend my first holiday party of the year.  My dress is a grownup version of something I might have dreamt up in 1994.  Which means velvet.  And a little poof of the sleeve. 

This got me thinking about how whenever I envision holiday party fanciness, I think velvet.  My mother sewed adorable velveteen Christmas frocks for my sister and I, which is probably where all of this started. 

 
Still rockin those bangs.

I was also obsessed with Samantha Parkington, American Girl, who sported a similar holiday dress to this one, only in blue velvet.  With lots more lace.  In my mind, lace = romance = can't ever have too much.  

I think that's what it is:  These fabrics still make me feel regal, noble, timeless.  In velvet, I'm Anastasia Romanov, I'm Scarlett O'Hara, I'm Jo March.

Velvet has always been associated with royalty. It was originally a silk pile weave (expensive...royalty...fancy) and now can be made from all sorts of fabrics.  The soft pile gives it the furbaby feel and sumptuous color it is known for. 

Yes, my holiday frocks and fabrics of choice are inspired by nobility, as well as by David Bowie and Stevie Nicks.

Now for that glass of bubbly!

No comments:

Post a Comment