Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Delight

The quality of life is in proportion, always, to the capacity for delight. The capacity for delight is the gift of paying attention.
I remain tattoo-less but if I were to inscribe words on my body, that last sentence is a particular favorite of mine. I'm also considering the state birds of Alabama and California, one for each wrist. However, that frankly seems a tad ambitious so perhaps I'll just settle for a couple of prints off of Etsy.

I was reminded of this quote tonight, while watching two little adorable boys play in front of the lobby mirrors. Starck placed some pretty crazy things in our hotel but the funhouse mirrors are always a hit. The littlest one was very taken by how skinny or fat they made him appear, and he kept giggling and babbling in Spanish and then giggling and falling to the floor. Must have done this nine times. And then I started giggling too, at witnessing his pure joy. His delight was my delight. We've had some very lovely guests lately, and I'm sometimes too quick to stop and pay attention to the gift that is constant, varied human interaction.

Though it was my seventh day of work in a row and I was quite beat, I ended it by writing my weekly little email. I'll share that with you, along with the tiny idea to pay more attention. The ability to be delighted seems like such a given, but it's not. It's absolutely not.
“I'm a perpetual tourist, and that's the best way to travel. Nobody gets used to you, you make new friends without having to hear anyone's everyday problems, and you jet back still feeling like a know-it-all.” John Waters is full of fabulous quotes, most of which are a little NSFW. Google ‘em on your lunch break! Apparently Johnny Ramone was a big fan of his as well. Sunday at 5:30 pm, the 9th Annual Johnny Ramone Tribute will present an Outdoor Screening of Cry Baby at Hollywood Forever. Special guests include host John Waters, co-star Traci Lords, and there’s even a Ramones look a-like contest. Gonna see lots of vegan leather jackets…

Here’s an intriguing (and free) event: The Cardboard Yacht Regatta will be held Saturday at the Annenberg Community Beach House. Cheer on teams who’ve constructed their own watercraft from cardboard and duct tape.  Each paddle-powered vessel is a work of art, vying for such awards as Best Theme and Most Likely to Sink. I’m already mentally building “Monkey Business” for next year’s regatta.

Did you know our very own Lori Trimble is President of the Los Angeles Concierge Association? (Side note: she likes it when you bow in her presence.) The LACA invites you to our 2013 Hospitality Expo, held at the lovely Langham Pasadena. Next Tuesday August 20th from 6:30 to 9:30, come mingle with other LA hospitality professionals and vendors. There will be games, prizes, and all sorts of circus-y entertainment!

No comments:

Post a Comment